I will be using this blog to schedule group runs, seminars, and workouts for all my athletes and other people interested in doing the ultra. I will also be using this blog to document my training for the 2010 Vermont 100 Mile Ultramarathon. For official articles, please visit my other blog at http://coachjoegold.blogspot.com.

Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14 - (8 Mile Run) The Hills are Alive...

...with the sound of quick running footsteps.

AM Workout: 8 Mile Run
Course: East Victory Blvd. (moderately hilly)
Time: 1:10:59 (8:53 min/mile pace)
Weather: 66F, Humid, Light Winds

With all the trail running that I've been doing, I figured it was time to tackle the road hills of Victory Blvd. a little. What is funny about ultramarathon training is that "tackling the hills" is different than in training for shorter races. Unlike trying to power up hills, the ultramarathoner "manages" himself up the mountain with as little effort as possible. That means cutting down on the stride and maintaining cadence up the hill. If the hill is steep enough, well, there is something called the Duck Walk, or, my favorite, the Crab Walk, where one runs sideways up a steep hill. Both involve moving the front of the foot to a sideways position to keep pressure off the toes as one climbs the hill.

Yeah, these are not the fastest ways up, but if I am not breathing hard at the top of the hill, then I've climbed the hill right.

I've yet to decide on a light swim or light bike this PM. I guess it all depends on if I can take care of other things today. I am quite busy today to try to get things done and I hope to finish them all by early this afternoon to get a ride in. Otherwise, I'll swim at 9AM tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment